How our Incubators Work
Are you looking to grow your business and creative practice?
This is how we support businesses at all stages...
Make It! aims to support young makers based in London who are passionate about craft to build their own creative business.
Applications are now closed for the last round of Make It! More details on how to apply again will be announced soon.
Make It! offers three London-based makers aged 16-25 the space and support to build their own craft-based business. Selected makers will receive a studio space at Cockpit Arts; including access to onsite workshops in business basics, one-to-one coaching and be a part of a thriving creative community. Applications are open to makers who are currently unemployed or underemployed (working in a job that doesn’t use their craft skills).
The two-year programme is designed to give you everything you need to start building your craft business. We’ve had 26 Makers successfully complete the programme since 2011 and six still have studios at Cockpit today. Find out more about them all here.
A place on Make It! is worth up to £5,000 but thanks to the generous support of John Lyon’s Charity, we can offer it to you for free in the first year. In the second year we ask only for a small contribution of £10 a week.
Successful applicants will receive the following:
– A studio space at Cockpit Arts
– Workshops to help you build a vision and set goals for your business, giving you the basic building blocks to get started
– One-to-one coaching and support from our in-house business team
– Access to the creative community at Cockpit Arts
– Participation in our twice-yearly Open Studios
– Access to office facilities and Wi-Fi
Applications are currently closed for Make It!
We encourage applications from those who are underrepresented in craft including non-graduates, disabled, D/deaf and neurodiverse people, LGBTQ+ people, and people from black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds. We also welcome applicants from a range of educational backgrounds as we do not require a minimum formal qualification for this programme.
To apply, all you need is to:
– Be aged 16-25
– Be based in the Greater London region
– Have a craft skill that you’ve self-taught, learnt on the job or studied
– Have made something you’re proud of and want to sell or exhibit
– Be committed to taking part in our workshops and using the support we offer
– Be committed to developing your craft and your business
‘A creative activity involving skill in making things by hand.’ On Make It! in the past we have seen everything from Printers & Embroiderers, Puppet Makers and Fine & Contemporary Jewellers to Milliners and Textiles Artists. Plus in the wider Cockpit community we also have Shoe Makers, Paper Marblers, Wood Turners, Leatherworkers, Ceramicists and many more. We have over 23 different types of craft happening within our walls.
Thanks to the generous support of John Lyon’s Charity, we can offer each young Londoner selected to the programme the first year of their business at Cockpit Arts for free. Find out more about John Lyons Charity