How our Incubators Work
Are you looking to grow your business and creative practice?
This is how we support businesses at all stages...
Make It aims to support young makers based in London who are passionate about craft to build their own creative business.
Applications will open for the next round of Make It in September 2020.
Make It offers London-based makers aged 16-26 space and support to build their own craft-based business. The two-year programme is designed to give you everything you need to start.
Selected makers will get a free studio space at Cockpit Arts for 12 months, access to onsite workshops in business basics and one-to-one coaching. You’ll be part of a thriving creative community of 150 makers. In the second year, we ask only for a small contribution of £20 a week.
Find out more about the 2020 cohort here.
We’ve had 26 Makers successfully complete the programme since 2011 and six still have studios at Cockpit today. Find out more about them all here.
A place on Make It is worth up to £5,000 and we can offer it to you for free in the first year. In the second year we ask only for a small contribution of £20 a week.
Successful applicants will receive the following:
– A studio space at Cockpit Arts
– Workshops to help you build a vision and set goals for your business, giving you the basic building blocks to get started
– One-to-one coaching and support from our in-house business team
– Access to the creative community at Cockpit Arts
– Participation in our twice-yearly Open Studios
– Access to office facilities and Wi-Fi
Applications will open in September 2020.
We encourage applications from those who are underrepresented in craft including non-graduates, disabled, D/deaf and neurodiverse people, LGBTQ+ people, and people from black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds. We also welcome applicants from a range of educational backgrounds as we do not require a minimum formal qualification for this programme.
This is for you, if you:
– Are aged 16-26
– Are based in London
– Have a craft skill that you’ve self-taught, learnt on the job or studied
– Have made something you’re proud of and want to sell or exhibit
– Face challenges and need time, space and support to get to the next level
– Will commit to the programme and building your business at least 2 days a week
To find out more contact Maxine, email@example.com or call on 020 7419 1962.
‘A creative activity involving skill in making things by hand.’ On Make It in the past we have seen everything from Printers & Embroiderers, Puppet Makers and Fine & Contemporary Jewellers to Milliners and Textiles Artists. Plus in the wider Cockpit community we also have Shoe Makers, Paper Marblers, Wood Turners, Leatherworkers, Ceramicists and many more.