7th October 2020
Applications are now invited for Cockpit’s programme of support for 16-26 year olds.
Make It offers London-based makers aged 16-26 space and support to build their own craft-based business and our two-year programme is designed to give you everything you need to start your journey.
Selected makers will get a free studio space at Cockpit Arts for 12 months, access to onsite workshops in business basics and one-to-one coaching. In the second year, we ask only for a small contribution of £20 a week.
You’ll be part of a thriving creative community of 150 makers.
More about Make It
A place on Make It is worth up to £5,000 and we can offer it to you for free in the first year. In the second year we ask only for a small contribution of £20 a week.
Successful applicants will receive the following:
– A studio space at Cockpit Arts from 1st February 2021
– Workshops to help you build a vision and set goals for your business, giving you the basic building blocks to get started
– One-to-one coaching and support from our in-house business team
– Access to the creative community at Cockpit Arts
– Participation in our twice-yearly Open Studios
– Access to office facilities and Wi-Fi
We encourage applications from those who are underrepresented in craft including non-graduates, disabled, D/deaf and neurodiverse people, LGBTQ+ people, and people from black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds. We also welcome applicants from a range of educational backgrounds as we do not require a minimum formal qualification for this programme.
This is for you, if you:
– Are aged 16-26
– Are based in London
– Have a craft skill that you’ve self-taught, learnt on the job or studied
– Have made something you’re proud of and want to sell or exhibit
– Face challenges and need time, space and support to get to the next level
– Will commit to the programme and building your business at least 2 days a week
– Be willing and able to make a commitment to take up the programme for its full duration from February 2021.
Zoom Information Evening
Want more information? Join us on Zoom for our Make It info evening on the 21/10/20 at 6pm.
Register for your free place here.
Ready to apply?
There are two ways apply:
1. You can submit an online form as a written application.
2. You can submit a video application.
Click here to start your application.
Applications close on the 4th November.
Any questions? Contact Maxine at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a voicemail on 020 7419 1962.
What do we mean by Craft?
‘A creative activity involving skill in making things by hand.’ On Make It in the past we have seen everything from Printers & Embroiderers, Puppet Makers and Fine & Contemporary Jewellers to Milliners and Textiles Artists. Plus in the wider Cockpit community we also have Shoe Makers, Paper Marblers, Wood Turners, Leatherworkers, Ceramicists and many more.