How our Incubators Work
Are you looking to grow your business and creative practice?
This is how we support businesses at all stages...
Make It aims to support young makers based in London who are passionate about craft to build their own creative business.
Applications are now closed, the next round will open in October 2021.
Make It offers London-based makers aged 16-26 space and support to build their own craft-based business. Our two-year programme is designed to give you everything you need to start.
Selected makers will get a free studio space at Cockpit for 12 months, access to onsite workshops in business basics and one-to-one coaching. In the second year, we ask only for a small contribution of £20 a week.
You’ll be part of a thriving creative community of 150 makers
Find out more about the 2020 cohort here.
We’ve had 26 Makers successfully complete the programme since 2011 and some still have studios at Cockpit today. Find out more about them all here.
A place on Make It is worth up to £5,000 and we can offer it to you for free in the first year. In the second year we ask only for a small contribution of £20 a week.
Successful applicants will receive the following:
– A studio space at Cockpit from 1st February/March 2021
– Workshops to help you build a vision and set goals for your business, giving you the basic building blocks to get started
– One-to-one coaching and support from our in-house business team
– Access to the creative community at Cockpit
– Participation in our twice-yearly Open Studios
– Access to office facilities and Wi-Fi
This is for you, if you:
– Are aged 16-26
– Are based in London
– Have a craft skill that you’ve self-taught, learnt on the job or studied
– Have made something you’re proud of and want to sell or exhibit
– Face challenges and need time, space and support to get to the next level
– Will commit to the programme and building your business at least 2 days a week
– Be willing and able to make a commitment to take up the programme for its full duration from February/March 2021.
Need more information?
We hosted a Zoom Information Evening in October 2020, catch up by watching the video below.
Find the topics you need at these times:
1.30 – Who is Cockpit?
5.33 – What is Make It?
8.40 – What Business Support will I get?
13.50 – What won’t I get?
17.52 – What will I gain?
20.43 – Studio Space & Examples
25.48 – Speaker: Darren Appiagyei
30.48 – Speaker: Paige Denham
36.08 – Application Requirements
38.11 – What do we mean by Craft?
40.30 – Application Form Questions
44.20 – Speaker: Eva Dennis
54.08 – Speaker: India Copley
Any questions? Contact Maxine at email@example.com.
‘A creative activity involving skill in making things by hand.’ On Make It in the past we have seen everything from Printers & Embroiderers, Puppet Makers and Fine & Contemporary Jewellers to Milliners and Textiles Artists. Plus in the wider Cockpit community we also have Shoe Makers, Paper Marblers, Wood Turners, Leatherworkers, Ceramicists and many more.