About Cockpit Arts
Cockpit Arts is London’s leading studios for contemporary makers and an award winning social enterprise.
Are you looking to grow your business and creative practice?
This is how we support businesses at all stages...
At Cockpit Arts we work with craft businesses at different levels – supporting start-ups taking their first steps and helping mid-career and established businesses to accelerate growth. Our incubators are specifically tailored to help talented makers who are developing creatively – and we get great results.
We also offer training and support for makers who do not have a studio at Cockpit but want to learn from our approach; we currently work with 48 makers who are based in London and participate in our London Creative Network programme. See our full list of current participants here.
In addition to raising profile, with our support, makers’ turnover and profits at Cockpit Arts have increased year-on-year since we introduced the incubation model in 2005. In 2017 our makers reported an average turnover of £45,058 and average profits of £13,760. These both compare favourably with the national average figures of £23,485 and £6,231 reported by the Crafts Council in 2012.
Our package includes:
We have an experienced on-site team, offering an array of support services to help you grow your business while you develop creatively, including:
• A team of on-site coaches
• One-to-one business support
• Peer-to-peer action learning
• Workshops & Seminars provided by our in-house team alongside a panel of industry experts
• Make It Count – a bespoke series of workshops aimed at Awardees and early career makers
• London Creative Network – also a route to access our support if you don’t have a studio at Cockpit Arts
• Creative Employment – an initiative to help studio holders take on their first employees and to increase opportunities for employment in the craft sector
• Cockpit Arts and Ingenious Growth Loan Fund – offering financial support to mid-career and established businesses that want to scale up or develop their practice further
• Jill Humphries Springboard Prize
• Cockpit Industry Experts – referral to specialist advisers
Our incubator buildings are based in Holborn, WC1 – close to the Hatton Garden jewellery quarter; and in Deptford SE8 – at the centre of an exciting community of artists and craftspeople. The buildings are light and airy – full of character and creative buzz.
Both of our incubators feature:
• Managed studio
• Creative environment
• Office facilities and resource library
• Broadband access
• Meeting Room hire
• Post and Delivery
• Lift Access
The studios have 24/7 access, 365 days a year. All have natural light, electricity and broadband access. The majority are shared by between two and five people, though there are some single studios. We take time and care to find studio pairings which best meet the needs of all makers involved.
Access to our serviced office is available from Monday-Friday. This provides you with facilities that include: receipt of post and parcels; photocopier; fax, a meeting room; and a large education space that you can hire. There is also a resource room with computers, broadband internet access and a reference library that carries style and trade magazines as well as useful information about starting and running a business.
PR & Sales
Having a studio at Cockpit Arts is a recognised benchmark of quality craftsmanship and design excellence. We offer a range of promotional and sales opportunities including:
• Open Studios public selling events
• Profile raising events and campaigns
• Exclusive studio tours with selling opportunities
• Online maker directory
• Brand Association and use of our Makers Mark